Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Last Shall be First

Last night before my trip.  Last time to check the packing list.  Last time to add songs to my playlist.  Last night to relax on the porch.  Last night to sleep in my bed.  Last night to kiss Heidi goodnight.  Tomorrow, the last day in my job in fund raising at St. Vincent de Paul.

But the last shall be first.

The first time I'll spend this much quality time with my dad in a long time.  The first time I'll experience this part of the country.  The first time I'll push myself, mentally and physically, this far.  And when I get back, the first time I'll get to hold my wife after two weeks apart.  The first time I'll get to go to my new job within St. Vincent de Paul.

"Live each day like it's your last" is a popular saying, but I can't help but wonder if we shouldn't instead live each day like it's our first.  What if we forgot about when we last failed, and instead saw our first chance to succeed?  What if we forgot about when we were last hurt, and instead treated each relationship like it was fresh and new?  What if we forgot about everything we learned the last time, and lived life like it was our first day in a new school and we had everything to learn?

Thanks again to everyone for your support and encouragement as I take on this new first in my life.

Matt

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate the "Live each day like it's your last" paragraph. To live each day as it was our first, without being haunted by past events and mistakes would be refreshing, to say the least.

    ReplyDelete