Monday, May 28, 2012

Grand Marais

Dad was back on the trail today, and I had the day off.  After breaking down camp and dropping dad off at the Cascade River, where I left off yesterday, I headed into the town of Grand Marais.  We're taking a break from camping and staying at the Best Western... wow what a difference a roof, beds and a hot shower makes!

Since dad was on the trail today, his report is below.  I'm back on the trail for what will hopefully be 24 miles tomorrow, I'll keep you posted!
Matt

I walked 17 miles today on a foggy, overcast day.  The Cascade River was another river booming through a narrow gorge and was very spectacular.  Unfortunately, the view of Eagle Mountain, the highest peak in Minnesota, was obscured by the fog.  Actually, the day's highlight was a stroll through a stand of red pine.  After dealing with various obstacles on the trail surface, like rocks, roots and large puddles, it felt great to glide effortlessly over the soft pine needles.

Yes, after a couple days on the trail I was more interested in my aching knees, ankles and feet that the scenery!  Matt was right about walking every other day.  Today would have been pretty dicey if I hadn't taken yesterday off.  All in all, a good hike, though.  You kind of get in a trance after the first five miles!


This may explain Matt's odd behavior recently.  Perhaps he was inspired by the reference to his dialectic North Shore commentary in my last blog entry, or maybe he's suffering from some kind of "trail hypoxia."  At any rate, he has adopted the persona of Ted Tofte, union taconite worker and "Mr. Snowmobile 1999."  For the past two days, I have been surrounded by a cast of characters like Bill Lutsen, Ted's best friend and "Mr. Snowmobile 1998," Judge Magney, and Mike Marais, president of the Taconite Ball Rollers Local 39.
 

Bill Lutsen's cousin, Bo, has a hunting cabin up at Caribou Lake.  I'm tempted to go up there and grab a rifle before Ted, I mean Matt, drives me crazy!
 

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment